Wednesday, April 25, 2007

"The Pines Of The Appian Way" rocked my world

Last night I performed Ottorino Respighi's "Pines of Rome" with the Salt Lake Symphonic Winds. During the last movement - "The Pines of the Appian Way" - an antiphonal brass section of 16 players joined in with the rest of the group, just belting away, adding even more power to the ensemble. Add the fact that the trombone section (my instrument) was seated in the back, next to the trumpets, and right in front of the percussion and extra brass, and we were on some sort of hollow floor that was shaking when the bass drum and tympanis played, and that has got to be the one of the most visceral music experiences I've ever had.

Holy crap.

The last movement was absolutely incredible. I think the sound was ringing through the concert hall for a full 5 seconds after we finished. My big old Conn 88HO got as much as it could take in terms of sheer, focused sound projection without distorting.

Now I've got to find a good recording of somebody much better than us performing it. I bet it will sound better overall, in terms of performance quality, but it will be tough to beat the experience of actually sitting right in the middle of the group and getting enveloped by huge, building tidal waves of sound, envisioning huge columns of ancient Roman soldiers marching up the road as the dawn breaks. Goosebumps.

I whole-heartedly recommend it to all musicians out there. If you ever get a chance to perform this piece with a good group including the extra brass section, do it. What a rush.

No comments: